Papal cream cake – Polish dessert
- 500 ML OF MILK
- 200g of caster sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla sugar
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 20-40 ml of Amaretto liquor (*optional)
- 6 egg yolks
- pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 500ml heavy cream (at least with 36% fat)
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 50g of powdered sugar
- 2 puff pastry sheets
- Bake the puff pastry according the instructions on the package. Set aside.
- Heat up 400ml of milk and add the regular and the vanilla sugar into it. Bring to boil and then lower the heat to low.
- Meanwhile, mix the leftover 100ml milk with the Amaretto and the egg yolks. Add the cornstarch one tablespoon at the time and mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture into the hot milk and stir constantly. After a while a the cream should start to thicken. Once it does, turn the heat off and set the cream aside to cool down completely.
- Beat the heavy cream to whipped cream. *optionally you can add 1 tbsp of sugar at the end to make it bit sweeter.
- Place 1 baked puff pastry sheet on a flat surface and pour on the vanilla cream. Then add the whipped cream on top and cover with the second puff pastry sheet.
- Place the cake into to the fridge for at least one hour.
- Dust the top with the powdered sugar and cut into squares.
- You can keep the cake in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezing the cake is not recommended.
- To bake the puff pastry I recommend to use 13 x 9 inches baking tray.