A moist, citrus scented, poundcake-like cheese babka
- 8 ounces farmer’s cheese or Twaróg
- 14 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons milk (you might not use it all)
- Preheat overn to 325 F
- In a mixing bowl or a food processor, mix/process the farmer’s cheese until smooth. Mix in 14 tablespoons butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the flour, citrus zest and baking powder mixing only until combined. Over mixing once you’ve added the flour will make for a tough cake.
- Transfer the batter to an 8 or 9-inch loaf pan that you have greased or lined with parchment paper. Bake for 60 – 75 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. The internal temperature will be 203-205 degrees. Cool.
- With a fork or a small whisk, mix the powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, and just enough milk to give you a glaze that is thick, but will run down the sides a bit. Spread over the top of the cooled loaf.